Request for Follow Up
If you own or lease land within the 16 county elk restoration zone please fill out this online request form so a biologist can contact you to discuss signing up for the Elk Restoration Permit Program.
- Under this new system, landowners/lessees receive points for each elk trapped from their enrolled property.
- Trapping will only occur during winter months
- Trapping efforts focus on females, but occasionally yearling males (spikes) and male calves are captured as well. KDFWR excludes mature bulls from capture.
- Each trapped male counts for 2 points, and a female counts for 1 point.
- Upon the accrual of 20 points, the landowner will receive an either-sex elk permit that can be used the following elk hunting season on the enrolled property or any other property owned or leased by the enrolled landowner or lessee.
- This elk permit is fully transferable to any legal Kentucky hunter on or before August 15th of the applicable year.
- Each enrolled property will have a set limit as to the number of elk to be removed during trapping efforts.
- This number will be based on biologist discretion, landowner input, and the number of elk using the area.
- KDFWR will not remove more than 5-10 animals from a property unless requested by the landowner/lessee to do so.
- Quantitative ranking criteria have been established to prioritize properties.
For more information, please call Joe McDermott at 800-858-1549 or email Joe.McDermott@ky.gov.